GOT USED OIL? GOFER IT!
Each year in the United States, more than 200 million gallons of oil are disposed of improperly.That’s 20times more oil than was spilled in the Exxon Valdez accident.
Aiken Electric Cooperative has a program to help you dispose of the used oil the right way. Our Give Oil for Energy Recovery (GOFER) program is a joint effort with Santee Cooper to keep oil out of our precious soil and water supplies.
How does GOFER work?
Just take your used oil to one of our GOFER collection sites. Then, Santee Cooper will collect the oil and burn it to generate electricity. Used oil has one-third more energy producing potential than coal. Two gallons of used oil will provide electricity to run the average household for about 24 hours, or will allow you to:
• cook 48 meals in the microwave oven;
• blow-dry your hair 216 times;
• vacuum your house for 15 months;
• or watch TV for 180 hours.
Protect the environment.
GOFER was South Carolina's first program to both protect the environment and conserve valuable energy resources. GOFER has been recognized by statewide and national environmental and advocacy groups as a smart, simple way to help protect the environment.
The program, begun in 1990 as an Earth Day project with three collection sites, has grown to include more than 500 do-it-yourselfer sites and about 2,000industries, commercial operations and farms. So far,GOFER has collected more than 14.5 million gallons of used oil. This was converted into enough electricity to provide power for approximately 1,350,000 average-sized homes for one month.
Aiken Electric takes pride in turning used oil from do-it-yourselfers and businesses into electricity for you and your neighbors - and protecting our environment.
How to GOFER it!
To help you properly dispose of used oil, please follow these tips:
1.Drain the oil into a suitable container, no larger than five gallons, such as a large plastic jug with a tight-fitting cap.
GOFER Do’s and Don’ts.
• Don’t mix oil with other liquids such as antifreeze,gasoline, paint thinner, brake fluid or water.
•Don’t leave oil filters at the collection station.
• Don’t leave full containers at the collection station.
• Do reuse your used oil containers if possible. Never dispose of them at the collection station.
• Do pour oil carefully into collection tanks to minimize spillage.
• Do help keep your GOFER station clean.
GOFER Collection Stations:
• Aiken Electric Cooperative Headquarters Building, 2790 Wagener Road, Aiken (in front of parking lot)
• Aiken Electric Cooperative, Edgefield District Office,Highway 25 Bypass, Edgefield (in front of parking lot)
• Aiken Electric Cooperative, North District Office,8381 North Road, North (at employee entrance)
Call 1-800-753-2233 for the location of other sites near your home.
- Call Before You Dig
- What are Capital Credits?
- Community Room Info
- Co-op Connections
- Economic Development
- Everyday Safety
- Storm Safety
- Home Energy Savings
- Job Opportunities
- Net Metering/ Renewables
- Palmetto Power Program
- Pay Stations Listing
- Pole Inspection 2013
- Retail Rate Schedules
- Run United 5K/10K
- Service Rules and Regulations
- Together We Save
- Unclaimed Capital Credit
- Senior U Select
- SC Living
- Youth Programs